Thursday, October 7, 2010

7th & 8th Grade goes to the Navy Pier IMAX show


Our classroom was buzzing with excitement. We were finally going someplace really cool for a field trip, Navy Pier! On the bus it was pandemonium, but as we got off our roars turned to whispers. The view of the tall skyscrapers and glittering lake that surrounded our point of destination filled us with awe even though we had seen it thousands of times before. At the pier there were its usual suspects; tourists, buses, the occasional trolley and of course the famous Ferris wheel. It’s unusual to have field trips to places we’ve been before so we cited past adventures as we laughed and snapped pictures while we entered the building.

Vendors seemed to welcomes us with arms wide open as some of us bought to our hearts content. Finally, we were re-rounded back up and herded into the Imax area. After counting heads we entered the building the room. It was huge! The Imax screen was floor to cavernous ceiling! There were tons of seats and huge speakers on the corners of the walls that looked like gigantic boom boxes. I did not get to sit by friends but that was all the better. I probably wouldn’t have learned as much. The movie was interesting and the soundtrack a bit… odd. I was taught that brain cells and things in your eyes die every time you wake up. I learned that deep in my ear thing dance and that’s how I hear, but my favorite, was learning about how babies can hear very high pitch noises and will not try to breath if thrown underwater. I thought that was so cool! It made me laugh and me and others talked about it for days.

We exited and got to eat our food at the food court. We laughed and browsed and took LOTS of pictures. As I opened the doors to leave Navy Pier into the hot sun, I knew there would be few days like this, well, that involved teachers. -Destiny J. 319

No comments: